The common cold always comes with a cough, and it will be slightly an irritating situation to deal with the flu. Our immune system will take more than seven days to cure the cough and cold. Have you ever wondered how to tackle a pesky cold and cough? Well, you’re in luck!
There are several effective home remedies available that can help you get rid of a cold and cough fast. These natural remedies utilize ingredients commonly found in your kitchen pantry, making them accessible and affordable. So, wave farewell to sniffles and coughs, and say hello to a healthier you with these 10 best home remedies for cold and cough relief.
7 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Cough and Cold
Garlic holds allicin compounds that have antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. This allicin compound is perfect to defend you against the cough and cold. If you have a cough and flu,
- Get 4-5 garlic cloves
- Slightly squash it and fry it in a small quantity of ghee
- You can add it to your diet until you get free from cough and cold
2. Turmeric and Milk
An active ingredient discovered nearly in all Indian kitchens. Turmeric is a powerful antioxidant that aids in treating numerous health issues. Mixed turmeric powder with warm milk is an effective method to fight against cough and cold.
- Take one glass of hot milk and add turmeric powder
- Drink it before going to bed. It helps in quicker healing from cough and flu.
3. Ginger and Honey Tea
Brew a soothing cup of ginger and honey tea to alleviate cold and cough symptoms. Ginger’s anti-inflammatory properties help clear congestion, while honey soothes a sore throat.
4. Eucalyptus oil
The best solution for cough and cold is eucalyptus oil, which is obtained from the eucalyptus tree. This oil has a lot of advantages including powerful antifungal, antiseptic, antibacterial, antispasmodic, astringent, and expectorant properties.
- Put 4 or 5 drops of this oil in a bowl then add warm water and lean over the pan.
- Cover your head with a bedsheet to trap the steam in and inhale deeply for 10 min.
- Follow it two times a day. It will work to treat your cough and cold effectively.
Honey has antiviral, antioxidant, and antibacterial properties, and also it enhances the immune system.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of honey to your ginger tea or a glass of warm water.
- You can also add some lemon for Vitamin C benefits. But you should never provide raw honey to children below one year old because it contains botulinum spores.
The honey is usually harmless to adults and older children; an infant’s immune system are not able to clash them off.
6. Warm Chicken Soup
Chicken Soup provides relief from colds and coughs by offering multiple benefits.
- Firstly, the warm broth helps to soothe a sore throat and alleviate coughing. The steam from the soup helps to clear nasal congestion and aids in breathing.
- Additionally, chicken soup contains essential nutrients and electrolytes that support the immune system and aid in fighting off the cold virus.
- Lastly, the warmth and comforting nature of the soup provide comfort and promote overall well-being, making it an excellent choice to help combat cold and cough symptoms.
7. Onion Juice
Onion juice is a helpful home remedy for cough and cold. It acts as a natural expectorant, which means it helps to loosen and expel mucus, relieving congestion and coughing. The juice also has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce throat irritation and discomfort. Onion juice also boosts the immune system, helping your body fight off the cold virus faster.
- Extract onion juice and consume one teaspoon every few hours. It helps loosen mucus and provides relief from coughing.
By incorporating onion juice into your routine, you can effectively treat cold and cough symptoms at home and feel better in no time.
Additional Tips to get rid of cold and cough
- Get plenty of rest to help your body recover faster.
- Stay hydrated by drinking water, tea, and other fluids to keep your body hydrated and help loosen mucus.
- Practice good hygiene by washing your hands frequently, and covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet to support your immune system and boost your recovery.
Infographic: How to Get Rid of Cold and Cough Fast?
Save this infographic in high-quality PDF format
With these simple and natural home remedies at your disposal, you can bid farewell to a cold and cough without relying on medication and get back to feeling your best in no time.